Thi Thu Hien Nguyen, Weiguo Zhang1, Zhen Li, Jie Li, Can Ge, Jinyan Liu, XuexinBai, Huan Feng, and Lizhong Yu (2016).
Magnetic properties of sediments of the Red River, VietnamEffect of sorting on the source-to-sink pathway and its implications for environmental reconstruction. Geochemistry, Geophysic. Geosystems, 17(2), pp. 1-12 doi:10.1002/ 2015GC006089.
We conducted a mineral magnetic study of river bank and subaqueous delta sediments from
the Red River, in order to examine the role of sedimentary sorting on the variation of sedimentary magneticproperties from source to sink. The magnetic mineralogy mainly consists of magnetite and hematite. Bulksediment particle-size variations have a strong influence on magnetic properties, with the frequently usedmagnetic parameters χfd%, χARM, χARM/v, and χARM/SIRM exhibiting positive correlations with the <4 µmfraction, while S-ratios are negatively correlated with this fraction. Compared with river bank sediments andshallow shoreface (<5 m water depth) sediments, sediments from the deeper (>5 m water depth) part ofthe subaqueous delta have lower v and SIRM values, a finer ferrimagnetic grain-size and higher proportionsof hematite, consistent with selective loss of coarse ferrimagnetic grains on the source-to-sink pathway. Wesuggest that variations in magnetic properties in response to particle-size compositions and therefore depo-sitional environment changes should be carefully addressed when magnetic proxies such as χARM/SIRM areused in the study of coastal and marine environmental changes (e.g., sea-level change). In such cases, thecombined use of magneticproperties and geochemical indicators, such as Al/Ti ratio, may provide better results for paleoenvironmental reconstruction.
- Liu, Zhifei, Zhao, Yulong, Colin, Christophe, Stattegger, Karl, Wiesner, Martin G., Huh, Chih-An, Zhang, Yanwei, Li, Xiajing, Sompongchaiyakul, Penjai, You, Chen-Feng, Huang, Chi-Yue, Liu, James T., Siringan, Fernando P., Le, Khanh Phon, Sathiamurthy, Edlic, Hantoro, Wahyoe S., Liu, Jianguo, Tuo, Shouting, Zhao, Shaohua, Zhou, Shiwen, He, Ziding, Wang, Yuchen, Bunsomboonsakul, Suratta, Li, Yanli (2015) -
- Thi Thao Ta, Si Hung Le, Hong Quan Trinh, Thi Nguyet Minh Luu, Anh Duc Trinh (2016). -
- Huong Thi Mai Nguyen1, Quynh Thi Phuong Le1, J. Garnier3, J.-L. Janeau4 & E. Rochelle-Newall (2016). -
- Xi Xi Lu, ChanthaOeurng, Thi Phuong Quynh Le, Duong ThiThuy (2015). -
- Duc Anh Trinh, Thi Nguyet Minh Luu, Quan Hong Trinh, Hai Sy Tran, Tien Minh Tran, Thi Phuong Quynh Le, Thuy Thi Duong, Didier Orange, Jean Louis Janeau, Thomas Pommier, Emma Rochelle-Newall (2015). -
- Duong Thi Thuy, Vu Thi Nguyet, Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Hoang Trung Kien, Nguyen Trung Kien, Dang Dinh Kim (2014). -
- Duong Thi Thuy, Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Vu Thi Nguyet, Hoang Thi Thu Hang, Dang Dinh Kim, Lu XiXi (2014). -
- Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Duong Thi Thuy, Nguyen Thi Bich Ngoc, Nguyen Duy An, Pham Quoc Long, Seidler Christina (2014). -