Thi Phuong Quynh Le, Gilles Billen, Josette Garnier, Van Minh Chau (2014).
Long-term biogeochemical functioning of the Red River (Vietnam): past and present situations. Regional Environmental Change, 15(2), ISSN 1436-3798; DOI 10.1007/s10113-014-0646-4
The Red River (North Vietnam) is a typical example of a subtropical Asian river system undergoing high human pressure. During the last 50 years, major changes have occurred in its watershed, extending over an area of 156,450 km2 in Vietnam and China. We provide a detailed account of these changes, related to intensification of agriculture, deforestation, increase in population and urbanization, impoundment of reservoirs, etc. This information is used in a modeling approach of the nutrient transfers and transformations along the river system, in order to evaluate the changes in water quality of the Red River and its potential for coastal eutrophication. We conclude that the combination of increased nitrogen release from agriculture and retention of phosphorus in the reservoirs has considerably changed the balance of nutrients delivered at the outlet of the river, bringing the system close to a turning point in its nutrient biogeochemistry and its potential for coastal eutrophication. The upcoming impoundment of four new major dams in the watershed makes this conclusion particularly relevant.
- Liu, Zhifei, Zhao, Yulong, Colin, Christophe, Stattegger, Karl, Wiesner, Martin G., Huh, Chih-An, Zhang, Yanwei, Li, Xiajing, Sompongchaiyakul, Penjai, You, Chen-Feng, Huang, Chi-Yue, Liu, James T., Siringan, Fernando P., Le, Khanh Phon, Sathiamurthy, Edlic, Hantoro, Wahyoe S., Liu, Jianguo, Tuo, Shouting, Zhao, Shaohua, Zhou, Shiwen, He, Ziding, Wang, Yuchen, Bunsomboonsakul, Suratta, Li, Yanli (2015) -
- Thi Thu Hien Nguyen, Weiguo Zhang1, Zhen Li, Jie Li, Can Ge, Jinyan Liu, XuexinBai, Huan Feng, and Lizhong Yu (2016). -
- Thi Thao Ta, Si Hung Le, Hong Quan Trinh, Thi Nguyet Minh Luu, Anh Duc Trinh (2016). -
- Huong Thi Mai Nguyen1, Quynh Thi Phuong Le1, J. Garnier3, J.-L. Janeau4 & E. Rochelle-Newall (2016). -
- Xi Xi Lu, ChanthaOeurng, Thi Phuong Quynh Le, Duong ThiThuy (2015). -
- Duc Anh Trinh, Thi Nguyet Minh Luu, Quan Hong Trinh, Hai Sy Tran, Tien Minh Tran, Thi Phuong Quynh Le, Thuy Thi Duong, Didier Orange, Jean Louis Janeau, Thomas Pommier, Emma Rochelle-Newall (2015). -
- Duong Thi Thuy, Vu Thi Nguyet, Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Hoang Trung Kien, Nguyen Trung Kien, Dang Dinh Kim (2014). -
- Duong Thi Thuy, Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Vu Thi Nguyet, Hoang Thi Thu Hang, Dang Dinh Kim, Lu XiXi (2014). -