Duc Anh Trinh, Thi Nguyet Minh Luu, Quan Hong Trinh, Hai Sy Tran, Tien Minh Tran, Thi Phuong Quynh Le, Thuy Thi Duong, Didier Orange, Jean Louis Janeau, Thomas Pommier, Emma Rochelle-Newall (2015).
Impact of terrestrial runoff on organic matter, trophic state, and phytoplankton in a tropical, upland reservoir. Aquatic Sciences, 78(2), pp 367-379,DOI 10.1007/s00027-015-0439-y.
The impact of organic matter inputs from agricultural, forest and domestic sources on aquatic processes has been considerably less studied in tropical reservoirs relative to temperate systems despite the high number of these small aquatic systems in the tropics. Here we present the results of an in situ mesocosm study that examined the impact of allochthonous organic matter on a headwater reservoir in Northern Vietnam. We examined the impact of wastewater and soils from floodplain paddies, Acacia mangium plantations and from upland slopes on the metabolic status of the reservoir. The addition of floodplain paddy soils to the reservoir water led to a rapid switch in metabolic status from net autotrophic to net heterotrophic. In contrast, the addition of wastewater in low concentrations had less impact on the metabolic status of the reservoir, reflecting the low population density in the area. The addition of floodplain paddy soils also increased phytoplankton diversity and evenness relative to the control. In summary, soils from floodplain paddies and from A. mangium plantations had the highest impact on the reservoir, with upland soils and wastewater having less of an impact. We also found that primary production in this reservoir was nitrogen limited. In order to avoid accelerating the impact of runoff on the reservoir, future management options should perhaps focus on minimizing water and sediment runoff from upstream paddy fields and from A. mangium plantations. These results also underline the importance of studying these upland tropical water bodies that can contribute an important but, on the whole, ignored part of the global carbon balance.
- Liu, Zhifei, Zhao, Yulong, Colin, Christophe, Stattegger, Karl, Wiesner, Martin G., Huh, Chih-An, Zhang, Yanwei, Li, Xiajing, Sompongchaiyakul, Penjai, You, Chen-Feng, Huang, Chi-Yue, Liu, James T., Siringan, Fernando P., Le, Khanh Phon, Sathiamurthy, Edlic, Hantoro, Wahyoe S., Liu, Jianguo, Tuo, Shouting, Zhao, Shaohua, Zhou, Shiwen, He, Ziding, Wang, Yuchen, Bunsomboonsakul, Suratta, Li, Yanli (2015) -
- Thi Thu Hien Nguyen, Weiguo Zhang1, Zhen Li, Jie Li, Can Ge, Jinyan Liu, XuexinBai, Huan Feng, and Lizhong Yu (2016). -
- Thi Thao Ta, Si Hung Le, Hong Quan Trinh, Thi Nguyet Minh Luu, Anh Duc Trinh (2016). -
- Huong Thi Mai Nguyen1, Quynh Thi Phuong Le1, J. Garnier3, J.-L. Janeau4 & E. Rochelle-Newall (2016). -
- Xi Xi Lu, ChanthaOeurng, Thi Phuong Quynh Le, Duong ThiThuy (2015). -
- Duong Thi Thuy, Vu Thi Nguyet, Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Hoang Trung Kien, Nguyen Trung Kien, Dang Dinh Kim (2014). -
- Duong Thi Thuy, Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Vu Thi Nguyet, Hoang Thi Thu Hang, Dang Dinh Kim, Lu XiXi (2014). -
- Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Ho Tu Cuong, Duong Thi Thuy, Nguyen Thi Bich Ngoc, Nguyen Duy An, Pham Quoc Long, Seidler Christina (2014). -